Men’s Basketball Stays Hot with 87-75 Win Over #7 Franklin Pierce

MANCHESTER, N.H. – Freshman Mike McCahey (Clarkstown, N.Y.) scored a career-best 25 points to lead four Hawks in double figures as the Saint Anselm College men's basketball team earned an 87-75 victory against seventh-ranked Franklin Pierce University on Saturday afternoon at Stoutenburgh Gymnasium.

The Hawks win their third straight to improve to 5-1 on the season, including 3-1 in Northeast-10 play, while the Ravens tarnish their perfect record and dip to 5-1, 3-1 NE-10.

McCahey made nine of his 14 shots, including two of four from long range, in 32 minutes of action. Sophomore Chris Santo (Cherry Hill, N.J.) added 16 points on 6 of 9 shooting in 25 minutes off the bench, while classmate Roy Mabrey (Belmar, N.J.) registered the first double-double of his career with 15 points and a career-high 10 rebounds. Mabrey, who shot 3 of 8 from the field, including 2 of 6 from beyond the arc, and a perfect 7 of 7 at the line, also filled the stat sheet with three assists, two steals and a block in 37 minutes. Senior James Morse (Arundel, Maine) added a season-high 13 points on 5 of 8 shooting and drilled a dagger 3 to make it a three-possession game with just over a minute and a half to play.

In an opening half that featured 11 ties and nine lead changes, neither team led by more than two until the Hawks crafted a 6-0 run – with layups from Mabrey, junior Dino Mallios (Winthrop, Mass.) and Santo – to grab a 14-10 lead at the 14:09 mark. A 3-pointer from Eric Jean-Guillaume and a layup by Ant Lessane gave Franklin Pierce the lead right back just over a minute later.

With the FPU lead at two with 11:17 remaining, a pair of free throws from senior Quinn Woodhouse (Gaylord, Mich.), followed by a huge 3-pointer by sophomore Andre King (Springfield, Mass.), put Saint Anselm back on top, 23-20, with 9:41 on the clock. The Hawks still led by three less than two minutes later when a three-point play from Jean-Guillaume knotted the contest at 26.

After the teams traded baskets twice, the Hawks used a 7-1 spurt – with three points from McCahey – to open up their largest lead of the half at 37-31 with 2:44 to play. A McCahey free throw with 4:42 remaining gave the Hawks the lead for good at 31-30. The gap was still six with a minute on the clock when a layup by Adrianos Vourliotakis Perdikaris and a pair of free throws from Ryen Vilmont trimmed the Saint Anselm lead to just a pair. King closed the scoring with a pair of free throws with 25 seconds left to send the Hawks into the locker room with a 43-39 lead.

McCahey and Santo had 13 and 11, respectively, at the break.

Mabrey took over to start the second half as he scored 11 of the Hawks' first 13 points, including a 3-pointer from the right corner just 12 seconds in that stretched the lead to seven. Consecutive 3-pointers from Vilmont and Jean-Guillaume sliced the Franklin Pierce deficit to one 50 seconds in, but a Morse layup and two sets of Mabrey free throws pushed it back to seven at 52-45 at the 17:09 mark.

A layup by Georgios Papapetrou and a jumper from Ellis Cooper made it a three-point game, but Mabrey stepped up by burying a long 3 from the top of the key as he was dropped to the floor by Vilmont. The reigning Northeast-10 Player of the Week picked himself up, brushed himself off and knocked down the free throw to complete his second four-point play of the season and take the lead back to seven at 56-49 4:01 in.

Layups by Jean-Guillaume and Cooper would once again cut it to three and with the lead four at 11:01, a Matt Barboza trey made it a one-point game at 60-59. The Hawks responded in a big way, however, as they went on a 10-0 run to grab a 70-59 advantage with 8:44 to play. McCahey sparked the run with a 3-pointer and was followed by junior John Nielsen (Port Jefferson, N.Y.), who knocked down a triple on the Hawks' next possession to push the lead to seven. A pair of free throws from Mabrey and Santo closed the stretch.

With the lead still 11 1:01 later, five straight points from Jean-Guillaume made it a six-point game at 72-66 with just under six minutes to go. The lead was still six with 2:10 left when Vourliotakis Perdikaris made a pair at the line to cut it to 79-75.

That is when Morse came up big as he splashed a 3-pointer from the left corner to make it a seven-point game at the 1:38 mark. McCahey followed with another 3 from the opposite corner on the ensuing possession to put the icing on the cake and make the lead an even 10 at 85-75 with 1:04 on the clock. McCahey then capped the 8-0 run with a pair of free throws that also closed the scoring and gave the Hawks their largest lead of the contest.

Mallios tallied two points, three steals and three rebounds and handed out nine assists for the second straight game as the Hawks racked up 19 helpers on 28 baskets.

Franklin Pierce outshot Saint Anselm, 49.2 percent (29-59) to 46.7 percent (28-60), including 36.4 percent (8-22) to 35 percent (7-20) from 3-point land. Both teams shot well from the line, with Saint Anselm making 24 of 28 (85.7%) and Franklin Pierce converting 9 of 11 (81.8%). The Ravens held a slim 32-29 edge on the glass, but were outscored in the paint, 38-36. The Hawks only turned the ball over 12 times and forced 20 turnovers, parlaying that into a 22-6 advantage in points off of turnovers.

Jean-Guillaume poured in a career-high 29 points on 11 of 15 shooting, including 4 of 5 from distance.

The Hawks return to action Tuesday, Dec. 4 at 7:30 p.m. when they play host to the University of Massachusetts Lowell at Stoutenburgh. Stay up-to-date with the latest news, including game previews and recaps, directly from the Saint Anselm College athletic department by liking us on Facebook ( and following us on Twitter (