Men's Soccer Rises Above Southern Connecticut, 3-1

MANCHESTER, N.H. – Brian Ayers (North Potomac, Md.) scored the game-winning goal as the Saint Anselm College men's soccer team beat Southern Connecticut State University, 3-1, Saturday afternoon on Melucci Field.

The Hawks now stand at 4-6-1 overall and 4-3-0 in the Northeast-10 conference, while the Owls are even at 4-4-1 and 3-4-1 in league play. The last time Saint Anselm beat Southern Connecticut was Sept. 13, 2003 when the Hawks were victorious, 2-1, on home turf. The win broke an eight game unbeaten streak for the Owls.

Southern Connecticut struck first at 4:34 when Ross McGibney passed the ball up the right flank to Mario DiMiceli, who netted a goal into the top right corner of the net. 

Saint Anselm tied things up twelve minutes later at 16:44 when the ball ricocheted off several Saint Anselm players, including the head of George Lamptey (Worcester, Mass.), before Zach Wheeler (Derry, N.H.) headed the ball into the right side.

The Hawks took the lead, 2-1, off a set piece just 44 seconds later. The ball sailed to the right side of the box where Maximillian Glebocki (Wilbraham, Mass.) headed the ball to Ayers, who popped it over the head of Southern Connecticut goalkeeper Stephen Sasso. The ball caromed off the underside of the crossbar and in.

Saint Anselm would increase its lead to two at 33:18 when Hawk goalkeeper Eric Moriarty (Center Harbor, N.H.) sent a goal kick that bounced up the field to Bruno Dasilva (Rockland, Mass.). Dasilva and Sasso both chased after the ball, with Dasilva getting enough of the ball to get it around the goalkeeper and into the open net.

Moriarty made four saves – all in the first half – while Sasso made one. Southern Connecticut held a 16-7 advantage in shots.

The Hawks return to action Tuesday Oct. 9 when they travel to Assumption College in a 7 p.m. tilt at Multi-Sport Stadium. Stay up-to-date with the latest news, including game previews and recaps, directly from the Saint Anselm College athletic department by friending us on Facebook ( and following us on Twitter (