MANCHESTER, N.H. – Head Coach Joe Adam of the Saint Anselm College football team revealed a portion of his incoming class of student-athletes last Wednesday as part of National Signing Day.
National Signing Day is the earliest voluntary opportunity for a prospective student-athlete to officially join the institution. Many of the signees celebrated their collegiate commitments by holding "signing parties" at their local high school, flanked in their Saint Anselm gear and apparel.
Working alongside departments across campus, including admission, financial aid and residence life, Adam and his staff of assistant coaches have scoured the country in search of the next Hawks to represent the College on the gridiron. His wide search has yielded an initial group of student-athletes that includes 10 of the country's 50 states.
"It is important that we cast a wide net in search of student-athletes that will improve not only our program, but our campus-wide community," said Adam. "Season by season, our goal is to expand the nationwide awareness of our special brand of athletics and academics at Saint Anselm. We continue to build our program with high achievers in both the classroom and on the field."
As a high-academic NCAA Division II institution, Adam looks for recruits that display a "blue collar mentality," specifically those who will excel socially, academically and athletically on the Hilltop. Those recruits are expected to serve the Anselmian community in a first-class manner, attacking their academic and athletic goals with relentless focus and determination.
"Our athletics administration and the current student-athletes are a big help when it comes to recruiting quality individuals to the program," said Adam. "As I've always said, 'great players attract great players,' and our successful recruiting visits were partly due to our culture that the current student-athletes have helped to set."
A full list of newcomers to the program, including a comment from Adam, reads as follows.
Josh Berube - Londonderry, N.H. – OL
- "Josh is a big, physical presence on the offensive line. We have had success recruiting at Londonderry High School four years ago (Eric Fairweather) and we hope that we struck gold once again."
Anthony Brown - Temple, Texas – WR
- "Anthony is a terrific wide receiver who was All-State in Texas. We are expecting him to come in next season and contribute immediately."
Alex Card - Lakewood, N.Y. – WR
- "Alex comes to the Hilltop as a silky smooth, playmaking wide receiver from Western New York. He has the ability to make big plays in space."
Mark Conley - Elkton, Md. - OL
- "Mark has developed himself into a great player with a mix of toughness and raw ability. As a senior, he has a great skill set for his six-foot-nine inch frame."
Will Cunningham - Boca Raton, Fla. - OL
- "He is a blue collar power lifter from the Palm Beach area with ties to the Northeast. We are excited about his future on the offensive line."
Anthony Demasi - Bethlehem, Pa. - P
- "Anthony has family ties to the institution; he is very familiar with Saint Anselm. He will be a great addition to the specialists group."
Brandon Hudgins - Boynton Beach, Fla. - DL
- "Brandon is a gifted and physical defensive tackle from the Palm Beach area who has great ball "get off". He flies to the ball and he was coached by an individual who I truly respect."
Drew Huth - Cream Ridge, N.J. - DL
- "Drew has great bloodlines as his brother plays football at Princeton. He is a long, athletic defensive end who will press for playing time as a first-year athlete."
Jean-Claude King - Tiverton, R.I. - ATH
- "Jean-Claude is an outstanding athlete who was very under-recruited in Rhode Island. He is a perfect fit for our culture."
Anthony Marino - Bradenton, Fla. - QB
- "Anthony is a gunslinger from Florida who has a great, positive outlook. Coached by his father, Dave Marino, Anthony also adds grit to our program."
Derek Marino - Bradenton, Fla. - DB
- "Derek is a speedy, hard-hitting strong safety that will add athleticism to the back end of our defense. Coached by his father, Dave Marino, I am eager to work with him this fall."
Zach Martin - Groveland, Fla. - LB
- "A tough, physical two-way athlete, Zach will add to our linebacking corps this season."
Taylor Pawelkoski - Bradenton, Fla. - LB
- "Taylor is very driven and is a 'no-nonsense' type of student-athlete who embodies the culture of our defense here on the Hilltop."
Ryan Raybuck - Greenwich, Conn. - DB
- "A long, shutdown corner, Ryan has a great skill set. He was heavily recruited and we are excited to see him on campus this fall."
Ruben Rodriguez - Miami, Fla. - OL
- "Ruben is a tremendous fit for the Hawks offensive line. Our personal relationship was the key to him coming to the Hilltop – we beat out larger schools for his services."
Cam Schaefer - Shrewsbury, Mass. - DB
- "An athletic, two-way player from one of the top high schools in Massachusetts, we are excited to add him to our group of defensive backs."
Max Tempchin - Silver Spring, Md. - DL
- "Max is a barrel-chested defensive end that comes to us from our Maryland pipeline. Very happy to have him as part of the team."
Justin Villanueva - Lowell, Mass. - LB
- "Justin lives and breathes 'blue collar mentality' – he is a long, physical linebacker who is a great addition to our program."
Vincent Wagner - Staten Island, N.Y. - RB
- "Vincent is a well-built throwback running back from New York who was sought after by many programs. We are looking forward to seeing his contributions to our running game."
Devin Williams - Cliffwood, N.J. - LB
- "Devin is a smooth, athletic linebacker from New Jersey. He will compete for time as an outside linebacker."
Sulton Woolbright - Lexington Park, Md. - DB
- "Sulton is a dynamic safety with great range and athleticism. He can cover ground with an ability to strike."
Class of 2023 Newcomers