Men's basketball routs Franklin Pierce behind 67-point first half

MANCHESTER, N.H. – The Saint Anselm College men's basketball team compiled its highest point total in over three years, largely due to a 67-point explosion in the first half, in a 110-81 victory over Franklin Pierce University on Wednesday night at Stoutenburgh Gymnasium.

Box Score

Saint Anselm (13-6, 9-6 NE10) jumped on Franklin Pierce (10-11, 7-8 NE10) from the start, racking up 43 points in the first 10:21 of the game to build a 33-point lead on its way to its seventh-straight win. The Hawks hit 11 of their season-high 17 three-pointers in the first half and their 110 points were the team's most since a 113-73 win over Chestnut Hill on Nov. 16, 2013.

Back-to-back Northeast-10 Conference Player of the Week Tim Guers led the offensive outburst with a game-high 28 points and added 10 boards for his third double-double of the season. The sophomore guard has scored 222 points over the last seven games and has no fewer than 28 in any of the seven.

All five Saint Anselm starters were in double figures in the game, as was Austin Nydegger, who provided 11 points off the bench. Cody Ball shot 8-for-11 from the field on his way to 18 points, three rebounds and five assists. Harrison Taggart had 16 points, including three three-pointers, while Taylor Fortin and Chris Braley each scored 14. Fortin added four rebounds and seven assists, with Braley posting his seventh double-double of the year by hauling in a game-high 11 rebounds.

Matt Blanton shot 8-for-17 from the floor, including 4-for-8 from three-point range, to score a game-high 20 points for Franklin Pierce. Three other Ravens were in double figures, as Mike McDevitt had 14 points and seven rebounds, Oladoyin Fadojutimi tallied 12 points and six boards and Asante Sandiford came off the bench to provide 10 points and seven rebounds.

Saint Anselm made 15 of its first 20 shots from the field on its way to a 43-10 lead midway through the first half. Eight of the 15 makes came from behind the arc and all five starters for the Hawks had at least six points in the scorching start.

After a 2-2 tie 42 seconds into the game, the Hawks never trailed and they led by 36, 67-31, at the break after shooting 22-for-37 (59.5 percent) from the floor in the opening half. Guers had 21 of his 28 in the first half and Ball, Fortin and Braley each reached double figures before halftime.

Early in the second half, Saint Anselm stretch its lead to 42, 77-35, for its largest lead of the night following a three-point play by Taggart, a Guers three-pointer and a pair of Kyle Green free throws. The closest the Ravens got the rest of the way was 24 as three quick three-pointers from Banton made it 97-73 with 4:02 to go.

The Hawks quickly pushed their lead back above 30, as Nydegger hit threes on either side of a Jack Loughnane three-pointer. Nydegger and Loughnane combined to shoot 6-for-8 from the field and 5-for-5 from behind the arc off the Saint Anselm bench.

Saint Anselm shot 49.3 percent (37-for-75) from the floor, 60.7 percent (17-for-28) from three-point range and 82.6 percent (19-for-23) from the charity stripe. The Hawks had 21 assists on 37 made baskets, compared to just eight on 31 makes for the Ravens, who shot 43.7 percent (31-for-71) on the night.

Next up for the Hawks is a trip to Merrimack on Saturday, Feb. 4 for a 3 p.m. tipoff.

Stay up-to-date with the latest news, including game previews and recaps, directly from the Saint Anselm College athletic department by liking us on Facebook and following us on TwitterInstagram and Snapchat @STAHawks.