Last-minute overtime goal sinks men's hockey against Castleton

Last-minute overtime goal sinks men's hockey against Castleton

MANCHESTER, N.H. – Otis Goldman scored with 30.8 seconds remaining in overtime to lift Castleton to a 3-2 victory over the Saint Anselm College men's hockey team after the Hawks erased a two-goal, third-period deficit on Saturday evening in New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) action at Sullivan Arena.

Box Score

Castleton (7-8-2, 6-4-0 NEHC) got goals from Caleb Fizer and Ryan O'Toole late in the second period to take a 2-0 lead into the third. However, Saint Anselm (7-7-2, 4-6-1 NEHC) rallied with goals from Trey Aiello and Bryan Green, the latter coming with 1:35 remaining, to even the score. With the Hawks headed for their second-straight tie, Goldman was on the doorstep to tap home a rebound and give the Spartans the win.

In the first period, Shane Joyce made saves on Simon Teodorsson and Goldman early on. The Spartans had the best chance of the period when Ryan O'Malley sprung out of the penalty box but was denied by Joyce on a breakaway. Saint Anselm's best chance came from Justin Longo, whose close-range shot was saved by Ryan Mulder in the final three minutes of the period.

Nick Leonard and Jon Pallotta drew saves from Mulder inside the first three minutes of the second period before Joyce shut down Kurt Johnson five minutes in. Just past the midway point, Mulder made a save after Peter Sikalis skated the length of the ice to fire on goal and made another stop on Green off the following faceoff. Just after Green's effort, Sikalis rang one off the post as the game remained scoreless.

The Spartans broke the deadlock with a pair of goals in the final 6:16 of the second. Fizer opened the scoring by weaving through the Hawks' defense and firing in under the bar from Kurt Johnson and Ryan Smith at 6:16. With 45 seconds to go in the period, Castleton doubled its advantage as Ryan O'Toole scored from the middle of the right circle right off a faceoff.

Trailing 2-0, Aiello halved the Hawks' deficit at 8:39 of the third with his team-high eighth of the year. Nick Leonard found Jeremy Carignan in front and his initial shot was saved by Mulder but Aiello tossed the puck into the empty net. With 1:35 to go, Green picked a good time to score his first goal of the season, firing the puck over the shoulder of Mulder into the top-left corner to even the game at 2-2 off a feed from Brian Cameron.

Saint Anselm held a slender 30-27 advantage in shots, as neither team outshot the other by more than two in any period, including overtime. Joyce made 24 saves for the Hawks but fell to 6-5-2, while Mulder improved to 6-4-1 by stopping 28 shots.

Saint Anselm returns to Northeast-10 Conference play against Franklin Pierce on Tuesday, Jan. 17 at 7 p.m. at Sullivan Arena.

Stay up-to-date with the latest news, including game previews and recaps, directly from the Saint Anselm College athletic department by liking us on Facebook and following us on TwitterInstagram and Snapchat @STAHawks.