MANCHESTER, N.H. – For the 19th time in the tournament's 19 seasons, the Saint Anselm College men's ice hockey team will appear in the Northeast-10 Conference Men's Ice Hockey Championship, as the Hawks host Southern New Hampshire University in the semifinals at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 24 at Sullivan Arena.
Saint Anselm won its 13th NE10 regular-season title with an 11-4-0 record in conference play this season to lock up the top seed in the four-team tournament. Southern New Hampshire secured the No. 4 seed with a 6-7-2 mark in the NE10. The other semifinal will feature No. 2 seed Saint Michael's hosting No. 3 seed and reigning champion Assumption.
The lone NE10 program to make the postseason tournament in all 18 seasons, Saint Anselm is 24-10 (.706) all-time in the tournament. In addition to having the most wins of any team in the tournament, the Hawks also have the most titles (9) and finals appearances (14), most recently winning the tournament in 2014-15.
Saint Anselm won all three regular-season meetings with Southern New Hampshire, defeating its cross-town rival 4-2 at home on both Nov. 10 and Feb. 16 before posting a 4-1 win at SNHU Arena to finish the regular season on Feb. 17. The Hawks and Penmen will be meeting for the third time in nine days and for the 11th time in the postseason, with Saint Anselm winning nine of the previous 10. The three-straight head-to-head wins this season extended Saint Anselm's advantage in the all-time series with Southern New Hampshire to 33-5-1 as the two teams prepare to meet for the 40th time.
Per NE10 regulations, admission will be charged for all postseason contests. Tickets for adults will by $6.00 with children and senior citizens (65+) priced at $4.00. All Saint Anselm students will be admitted free with their student ID and the first 50 in attendance will receive a free NE10 t-shirt. Students with a valid ID from an NE10-member institution will be admitted for $1.00. All-sport passes from the NE10 are valid for postseason contests.
SCOUTING SAINT ANSELM
- Saint Anselm's 15 regular-season wins are the team's most since the 2005-06 team won 15 games during the regular season as part of a 17-win, NE10 Championship-winning season.
- The Hawks have won their last six games, the program's longest winning streak since a seven-game run from Nov. 27, 2005 to Jan. 6, 2006.
- Nine Saint Anselm skaters have compiled double-digit points this season, led by freshman Alec Andreucci's 24 points (9-15-24). The 24 points are the most by a Saint Anselm rookie since Johnny Daniels had 28 points (9-19-28) in 2011-12 and are twice as many as the next NE10 rookie this season.
- Sophomore Mike Ferraro leads the Hawks and ranks third in the NE10 with 15 goals this season, the program's highest total since 2012-13 (Mike Richard - 20, Liam McKillop – 16).
- Three goaltenders have seen time in net for the Hawks. Junior Colin Soucy is riding a five-game winning streak and ranks third in the NE10 with a 2.35 goals-against average in 12 starts. His play has helped Saint Anselm record the top scoring defense in the NE10, allowing 2.40 goals per game.
SCOUTING SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE
- Southern New Hampshire enters the postseason at 12-8-3 overall but lost its final two games to the Hawks after a four-game winning streak to start February.
- The Penmen are 12-14 (.462) all-time in the NE10 Championship and have made five appearances in the championship game, including winning the title in 2014.
- Southern New Hampshire boasts two of the NE10's top-three point scorers this season in juniors Brett Strawn and Chris Moquin. Strawn has a league-high 22 assists as part of a 29-point season to rank second in the NE10 in points, while Moquin is third with 27 points, including an NE10-best 19 goals.
- Sophomore Kurt Gutting and senior Ryan Slatky have split time in net for the Penmen. Gutting is 6-2-1 in 11 starts with NE10-best marks in goals-against average (2.11) and save percentage (.941). Zulauf has made 14 starts, going 6-6-2 with a 2.65 goals-against average and .922 save percentage.
2018 NE10 Men's Ice Hockey Championship Schedule
Saturday, February 24th
Game 1: #3 Assumption at #2 Saint Michael's - 4:00 PM
Game 2: #4 Southern New Hampshire at #1 Saint Anselm - 7:00 PM
Saturday, March 3rd
Championship (to be held at highest remaining seed)
Game 3: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner
*Game times shall be subject to the availability of ice facilities. The preferred start time for all championship games is 1:00 pm.