Men's ice hockey downed by Wentworth, 6-3

Men's ice hockey downed by Wentworth, 6-3

EVERETT, Mass. – The Saint Anselm College men's ice hockey team lost to Wentworth Institute of Technology, 6-3, on Friday night in a non-conference contest at the Allied Veterans Memorial Rink. 

Box Score

The Hawks fall to 7-7 on the season while the Leopards improve to 4-6-4. It was the third meeting between the two teams and the first time the home team won a game in the series.

Saint Anselm put some early pressure on the Leopards in the opening five minutes of the game. After three shots in the first minute, the Hawks put four shots on net during an early power play. However, Wentworth killed off the penalty thanks to four saves by goaltender Ryan Bonnvie.

The Hawks maintained possession over the next several minutes peppering Bonnvie with seven more shots through the midway point of the opening period. Wentworth had a late power play opportunity in the period but Saint Anselm killed it off as the teams skated into the first intermission scoreless. The Hawks outshot Wentworth 17-7 in the first 20 minutes.

The Hawks finally struck with 2:43 elapsed in the second period. With a scrum in front of the net, freshman Anthony Iacullo (Barrington, Ill.) pushed in the loose puck by the crease to give Saint Anselm a 1-0 lead. Junior Mike Ferraro (Northbridge, Mass.) and classmate Liam O'Sullivan (North Hampton, N.H.) each contributed with an assist.

The Leopards answered right back just before the five-minute mark of the second. Joey O'Leary evened the game at 4:49 of the second with a deflection in front.

Saint Anselm regained the lead at the 10:56 mark of the period. Sophomore Matt Chisholm (Scituate, Mass.) skated down the right side of the ice and sent a pass to senior Kevin Curley (Avon, Mass.), who found a wide-open net to put the guests up 2-1. The Leopards nearly tied things up again but senior goaltender Colin Soucy (North Andover, Mass.) made a point-blank save to keep the Hawks ahead by one.

Saint Anselm was put on the power play late in the second but only two shots landed on net, both of which were stopped by Bonnvie. That gave Wentworth some momentum and the hosts took full advantage of that.

The Leopards scored two goals in span of 33 seconds to take a one-goal lead into the second intermission. Nate Chase found the equalizer at 16:32 of the second period before Adam Tracey gave Wentworth a 3-2 lead with 2:59 left to play.

Wentworth added a pair of goals that were a minute and 20 seconds apart in the third period. Georgy Gorodetsky gave the Leopards a 4-2 lead at the 6:57 mark before Tracey made it 5-2 with 11:23 left in the final period with his second tally of the night. 

The Hawks put 13 shots in the final 10 minutes of action. Only one found the back of the net as Iacullo scored his second of the night with 2:06 remaining in the game. Sophomore Alec Andreucci (Guilford, Conn.) and O'Sullivan added assists on the play. Wentworth got that goal back with 1:05 remaining to take a 6-3 lead.

The Hawks outshot Wentworth 44-22 in the game and also won the faceoff battle with a 34-28 margin. In over 48 minutes of action Soucy finished had 12 saves in net while freshman Michal Soustal (Unicov, Czech Republic) played the final minutes of the third and had three saves. Bonnvie finished the game with 41 stops in net for the home team.

The Hawks will wrap up 2018 with a non-conference tilt with Colby College on Monday, Dec. 31 at 1 p.m. at Sullivan Arena.