Men's ice hockey falls to Saint Michael's in NE10 action

Men's ice hockey falls to Saint Michael's in NE10 action

MANCHESTER, N.H. – The Saint Anselm College men's ice hockey team dropped a Northeast-10 Conference contest to Saint Michael's College, 5-2, on Saturday afternoon at Sullivan Arena.

Box Score

The Hawks fall to 12-11-1 overall and 7-3-0 against NE10 opponents while the Purple Knights move up to 5-12-4 and 5-4-3 in league play.

After a consistent first period of play between both teams, it was Saint Anselm that took a 1-0 lead on a power play goal. After receiving a chip pass from junior Liam O'Sullivan (North Hampton, N.H.), junior Trey Aiello (Williamsburg, Va.) sent a wrist shot over the glove of Saint Michael's netminder Tim Decker at the 17:47 mark of the first.

However, it was the Purple Knights that came out on fire in the second period to take a 2-1 lead through two frames. Patrick Doherty got the scoring going for the visitors at the 8:29 mark of the period. Sel Narby made it 2-1 with 5:15 left in the second. He received a pass from behind the net from Niall Foster and one-timed a shot past Hawk senior netminder Colin Soucy (North Andover, Mass.).

Foster opened the third period with a goal just 19 seconds into the stanza. After Doherty's initial shot was stopped by Soucy, Foster crashed the net and buried the puck over a diving goaltender to make it 3-1 in favor of the guests.

The Purple Knights maintained pressure and after killing off a hooking penalty early in the period, it was Foster again finding the back of the net. The Hawks turned the puck over in their defensive end and Foster sent a wrister past Soucy to make it 4-1 with 8:15 left to play.

The Hawks were able to come within two goals at the 15:13 mark of the final period. Sophomore Matt Chisholm (Scituate, Mass.) sent a pass towards the net. Freshman Anthony Iacullo (Barrington, Ill.) found the puck and sent it through the legs of Decker to cut the lead in half.

However, Saint Michael's sealed the victory on a goal by Brandon Mitchell with 2:06 left in regulation.

The Hawks had a 32-27 advantage in shots in the game. However, the visitors held a slim 11-8 margin in the final period. Soucy finished the game with 22 saves in net while Decker stopped 30 shots for the Purple Knights.

The Hawks return to the ice on Tuesday, Feb. 5 in Worcester, Mass. as they take on the Greyhounds from Assumption College at 7:05 p.m. The game was originally scheduled for Jan. 19.