MANCHESTER, N.H. – The Saint Anselm College men's ice hockey team clinched its third-straight Northeast-10 Conference regular season title on Friday, Feb. 15 with a victory over Southern New Hampshire University to take the top seed in the NE10 Championship. The Hawks will face the No. 4 seed Greyhounds from Assumption College on Saturday, Feb. 23 at 1 p.m. at Sullivan Arena.
TICKET INFORMATION: Ticket prices for the NE10 Semifinal contest are $6 for adults, $4 for children and senior citizens, and $1 for students with a valid NE-10 ID.
LAST TIME OUT: The Hawks dropped their regular season finale at home against the Penmen on Saturday, Feb. 16 to conclude the regular season. Saint Anselm took a 1-0 lead on a goal by senior Bryan Green (Weymouth, Mass.) midway through the opening period. However, Southern New Hampshire scored three straight to take the game. The Hawks finished the regular season with a 15-12-2 overall record and 10-4-1.
SCOUTING SAINT ANSELM:
- The Hawks won their third-straight regular season NE10 title and 14th in program history in the 2018-19 season.
- Five student-athletes were named to the NE10 All-Conference teams. Juniors Dave Almeida (Bristol, R.I.), Mike Ferraro (Northbridge, Mass.), Liam O'Sullivan (North Hampton, N.H.) and Sean Verrier (Reading, Mass.) all earned Second Team honors. Freshman Anthony Iacullo (Barrington, Ill.) was named to the All-Rookie team.
- Verrier led the team with 21 points (10-11=21) and had a pair of game-winning goals on the year. Ferraro scored the most goals for the Hawks with 13 to go along with five assists for 18 points.
- Iacullo led all rookies on the team with 18 points (8-10=18) and finished in a two-way tie for second on the team in points. Green also potted 10 goals while adding seven assists during the year.
- Senior netminder Colin Soucy (North Andover, Mass.) posted a 2.81 goals-against average. His save percentage was .896 while posting a 13-11-2 record with a pair of shutouts.
- The Hawks boasted an impressive 8-5 record at Sullivan Arena during the 2018-19 season.
- In conference play, Saint Anselm scored 55 goals in 15 NE10 games and scored 89 goals overall – the latter was nine better than cross-town rival Southern New Hampshire University.
- Assumption enters as the No. 4 seed in the tournament after posting a 15-8-3 overall record and 7-5-3 in NE10 play.
- The Greyhounds went 7-4-1 on the road during the year.
- Goaltender David Zulauf played in 21 games with 20 starts on the year for Assumption posting a 12-6-3 (.643), the second-best winning percentage among NE10 goaltenders.
- Matt Dameilo led the team with 22 (10-12=22). Brendan Philippon recorded 19 points (8-11=19) while Devan Sheth had 18 points (9-9=18) for third-most on the team.
- Robert Holyoke's 12 goals was tied for second in the NE10.
- Assumption's penalty kill was the best in the league, just ahead of Saint Anselm, killing off 85.2 percent chances while short-handed. The Greyhounds averaged 3.08 goals per game while allowing 2.30 per game.
NE10 POSTSEASON ALL-TIME:
- Since the league's inception in 1999, the Hawks have won 10 NE10 Tournament Championships.
- This year is the third-straight season taking the regular season title and 14th in program history.
- The program has gone to 18 NE10 title games since 1999.
HEAD COACH: Head coach Larry Rocha '79 opened his first season at the helm of the program with a 15-12-2 record and 10-4-1 against NE10 opponents. He previously served as the assistant coach of the Hawks since the beginning of the 2013-14 season. He became the first alumnus to lead the team since Tom Birmingham '76 did so from 1979 to 1985.
ALL-TIME vs. ASSUMPTION:
- The Hawks hold an all-time record of 29-7-2 against Assumption in the all-time series, dating back to Dec. 6, 1969.
- Saint Anselm went on a 21-0-1 streak against the Greyhounds from the 1985-86 season to the 2013-14 season.
- This year, the Hawks won the first meeting back on Nov. 10 by a score of 5-1. However, the next game at Assumption was a 2-1 setback on Jan. 18. The Hawks battled back to tie the final game of the season series this year in exciting fashion on Feb. 5. With two seconds remaining in regulation, senior Kevin Curley (Avon, Mass.) fired a shot after a key faceoff win to find the equalizer.
- The teams have met four times in the tournament, twice in the title game and twice in the semifinal game. The Hawks are 3-1 against Assumption in those games, most recently playing in the NE10 Semifinals during the 2016-17 season, in which the Greyhounds won 4-3.