#1 Le Moyne Tops Men’s Lacrosse, 18-5

MANCHESTER, N.H. – Junior Geoff Kennedy (Gloucester, Mass.) and senior Jake Mallinson (Middletown, R.I.) each tallied two points, but the Saint Anselm men's lacrosse team was handed an 18-5 loss by top-ranked Le Moyne College on Saturday afternoon at Grappone Stadium.

The Hawks drop to 2-5 on the season, including 1-3 in Northeast-10 play, while the Dolphins remain perfect at 9-0, 6-0 NE-10.

Kennedy scored two goals, while Mallinson recorded a goal and an assist.

Kennedy staked the Hawks to a 1-0 lead just 3:15 into the first quarter when he received a pass from junior James Peters (Medway, Mass.) and fired it into the back of the net. Kevin Kelly answered 1:28 later to tie the game with 7:17 left, but freshman Mark Vitello (Weymouth, Mass.) scored just 15 seconds later to put Saint Anselm back in front, 2-1.

That would be the last lead the Hawks would hold, however, as Andrew Chadderdon scored with 6:03 to play in the opening frame to set off a 14-0 outburst that spanned parts of three quarters and gave the Dolphins a 15-2 lead with 9:22 to go in the third quarter. Chadderdon registered five goals and an assist during the run, while Mike Jenkins (2-3-5), Chris Button (3-0-3) and Kelly (2-1-3) also played prominent roles during the stretch.

Kennedy snapped the barrage with his second of the day with 5:46 left in the third quarter, but Le Moyne closed the third-quarter scoring and opened the fourth-quarter scoring to push its advantage to 17-3.

Mallinson buried his first of the day with 6:11 left in the contest and then set up the first of the afternoon for senior Ryan Mee (Medway, Mass.) 30 seconds later to cut it to 17-5. The Dolphins added one more tally with 44 seconds left to cap the scoring.

Sophomore goalkeeper James O'Neill (East Walpole, Mass.) made eight saves in the first 50:25 of action, while senior Daniel Endicott (Malden, Mass.) stopped one of the two shots he faced over the final 9:35. For Le Moyne, Pat Brothers turned away 3 of 5 shots playing the entire first half, Ben Romagnoli made nine saves on 11 shots in the next 23:49 and Tim Birchler stopped two of the three shots he faced over the last 6:11.

Le Moyne outshot Saint Anselm, 48-38, including 16-6 in the second frame, and also held a slight 14-13 edge in faceoffs won.

The Hawks return to action Wednesday, April 2 at 7 p.m. as they make the short trip across town to take on Southern New Hampshire University under the lights at Larkin Field. The next home game for the Hawks is Saturday, April 5 at 11 a.m. when they play host to Franklin Pierce University at Grappone. Stay up-to-date with the latest news, including game previews and recaps, directly from the Saint Anselm College athletic department by liking us on Facebook and following us on Twitter @STAHawks.