Women’s Lax Tagged With First Blemish of 2014; Edged 12-10 at #6 New Haven

WEST HAVEN, Conn. – Junior Marissa Daly (Marshfield, Mass.) and sophomore Caitlin Villareal (Portsmouth, R.I.) each scored four goals, but the Saint Anselm College women's lacrosse team suffered its first loss of the season as the sixth-ranked University of New Haven scored twice in the final nine seconds to pull out a 12-10 win at Cayo Field on Saturday afternoon.

The Hawks see their program-record eight-game winning streak come to an end as they fall to 8-1 on the season, including 5-1 in Northeast-10 play. The Chargers remain perfect at 10-0, 6-0 NE-10.

With Saint Anselm trailing 9-7 less than 10 minutes to go before the end of regulation, sophomore Erin Marshall (Woburn, Mass.) set up a pair of Daly goals within 1:12 of each other that knotted the game at 9-all with 8:29 to play. The Chargers then came up empty on a trio of free-position opportunities and sophomore goalkeeper Jane Bunn (St. John's, Fla.) made a save of a Courtney Ackland bid to give position back to the Hawks. Villareal made it count as she scored for the fourth time to give Saint Anselm a 10-9 lead with 4:32 left.

Marissa Fisher won the ensuing draw control and eventually scored with 3:19 on the clock to tie the game at 10. The Chargers again won the draw control and milked the clock, finally taking a shot as Ackland buried a shot with nine seconds left to put New Haven back in front, 11-10. Kathryn Campbell cleanly won the following draw control and raced down the field, scoring just before time expired to seal the win.

Bunn made six saves for the Hawks, while Marissa McDermott stopped four of the 10 shots she faced over the first 41:14 of action and Alyssa Gianott turned away one of five shots in the final 18:46.

After Maya Szymanski staked New Haven to a 1-0 lead 3:21 into the contest, unassisted goals from junior Kelly Pickett (Chelmsford, Mass.) and Villareal gave the Hawks the lead for the first time with 20:21 remaining in the opening half. Ackland tied the game just 11 seconds later, but Daly grabbed a feed from Pickett and beat McDermott to put Saint Anselm back in front with 14:22 on the clock.

Nicole Belanger answered just under two minutes later and set off a four-goal run that featured four different goal scorers and put the Chargers in control at 6-3 with 4:42 to play. Pickett again connected with Daly on her second of the day to pull the Hawks within a pair just 1:04 before the break.

The teams played nearly nine minutes of scoreless lacrosse to open up the second half until Nicole McKee beat Bunn on a free-position shot to widen the gap to 7-4 with 21:11 to go. Villareal responded with an unassisted tally 40 seconds later and then Marshall added another unassisted strike to pull Saint Anselm within one at 7-6 with 18:46 remaining.

Belanger's free-position goal halted the threat, but Villareal found the back of the net again just 39 seconds later to keep it a one-goal game with 17:44 left. McKee potted her second of the day just under five minutes later to stretch the New Haven lead to 9-7 with 12:14 left.

New Haven held a 29-19 advantage in shots, including 16-9 in the opening stanza, and also won 17 of the game's 23 draw controls. The Chargers were 3-for-8 on free positions, while the Hawks went 0-for-2.

The Hawks return to action Tuesday, April 8 at 5 p.m. as they travel across town to take on Southern New Hampshire University at Larkin Field. The next home game for the Hawks is Saturday, April 12 at 1 p.m. when they play host to currently-second-ranked Adelphi University at Grappone Stadium. Stay up-to-date with the latest news, including game previews and recaps, directly from the Saint Anselm College athletic department by liking us on Facebook and following us on Twitter @STAHawks.