Bentley edges women's lacrosse in overtime

WALTHAM, Mass.Meaghan Sheehy tallied five goals but Bentley's Ciara Morley scored with 2:07 remaining in the second half of overtime to give the Falcons an 11-10 victory over the Saint Anselm College women's lacrosse team on Wednesday evening.

Box Score

Sheehy scored five or more goals for the fourth time this season as Saint Anselm (4-5, 2-3 NE10) built a 9-6 lead with 13:54 remaining in the second half. Trailing by three, Bentley (2-5, 1-3 NE10) scored four of the final five goals of regulation to send the game to overtime and Morley's free-position goal proved decisive in the extra session.

The game was Saint Anselm's third overtime game in just nine games this season. The three overtime games are already the most in a single season in program history.

In addition to Sheehy's five-goal performance, Marta Versprille contributed two goals and one assist for the Hawks, who also got a goal and an assist from Emma Palumbo. Erica Mattila and Rachel Henderson also scored for Saint Anselm, while Breda Holland added an assist.

Versprille, Henderson and Micayla Evans each grabbed two ground balls, with Henderson and Liv Connly recording two caused turnovers on the defensive end. Zoie Cavotta finished just one save shy of her career high by making 11 stops for her third double-digit save outing of the year.

Kathleen Gillespie netted three goals to lead the Bentley attack. Morley and Hannah Lindgren each registered two goals and an assist, while Ellie Shuman also scored twice. Shuman added a game-high four ground balls and three caused turnovers. Lauren Ochs made seven saves to earn the win for the Falcons.

The teams traded the first six goals of the game over the opening 14:20 of the first half with Gillespie and Sheehy each finding the back of the net twice early. Sheehy broke the 3-3 tie with back-to-back goals 2:04 apart to help the Hawks close the half on a 3-1 run to take a 6-4 halftime advantage.

Neither team scored in the first 11-plus minutes of the second half until Versprille ended the drought with her second of the game to give Saint Anselm a 7-4 lead. The Hawks still had a three-goal lead, 9-6, with 13:54 to go following a Mattila goal, but the Falcons scored three goals in three minutes to knot it up at 9-9 with 6:14 on the clock.

Sheehy put Saint Anselm back on top with her fifth of the night with 3:32 to play only for Bentley to respond on a free-position shot by Shuman with 2:29 left to tie it at 10-10. Four of the Falcons' final five goals in the game came on free-position shots.

Gillespie's free-position shot with 36 seconds left was the only shot of the first half of overtime but it was wide. She then hit the post just 18 seconds into the second half of overtime. Seventeen seconds later, Cavotta made a save to deny Carolyn Cruise and give the Hawks possession. However, out of a timeout, Saint Anselm turned the ball over and Bentley capitalized on Morley's free-position shot.

Next up for the Hawks is a trip to Southern Connecticut State University on Saturday, April 1 for a 12 p.m. contest.

Stay up-to-date with the latest news, including game previews and recaps, directly from the Saint Anselm College athletic department by liking us on Facebook and following us on TwitterInstagram and Snapchat @STAHawks.