Reece Scores 50th Career Point in Overtime Loss

Reece Scores 50th Career Point in Overtime Loss

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- The Saint Anselm women's soccer team travelled to Connecticut this afternoon to take on the University of New Haven Chargers in Northeast-10 Conference play.  After 108 minutes of the play, the back-and-forth battle came to an end, as the Hawks fell by a score of 3-2 in double overtime.  The win lifts the Chargers to 8-6-3 (5-6-2 NE-10), while the Hawks fall to 7-7-1 (6-6- NE-10).

The Chargers got on the board right away, as Lucy Francisco (Lawrence, Mass.) netted a crossing pass from Emily Buckley-Matura (Brooklyn, N.Y.) to give the Chargers an early 1-0 lead just 1:26 into the game.  The Chargers continued to maintain control of the ball until the Hawks got a corner kick in New Haven territory, and sophomore Teresa Vercollone (Pembroke, Mass.) took advantage of a rebound in the box and knocked in her team-leading fifth goal of the season, to tie the score at 1-1.

However, nine minutes later, at 27:41, Alexa DellaRocco (Hamden, Conn.) converted a pass from Lucy Francisco just inside the box to regain the Chargers' one-goal lead heading into halftime.   In the middle of the second half, senior Heidi Reece (Salem, N.Y.) broke the career 50-point mark, lacing in a goal assisted by classmate Ashley Lafond (Goffstown, N.H.), to knot the score at two and send the game into overtime.

The Chargers had some close chances in the first overtime period, but the Hawks were able to hold off their advancements until, at 108:05 in the second overtime period, Alexa DellaRocca sent a crossing pass from the corner to Lucy Francisco, who scored her sixth goal of the season and gave the Chargers a dramatic 3-2 double-overtime win.

The Chargers outshot the Hawks 21-5 in the game, but the Hawks had a 40% shooting percentage and a .800 shots-on-goal percentage.  Hawk goalkeeper Jacqueline Cooney (Braintree, Mass.) had seven saves in the game.  The Chargers' starting goalie Brianna Girard (Seymour, Conn.) had none in her 18:51 minutes, and Kim Taylor (Patchogue, N.Y.) had two saves in her 89:14 minutes in relief.

The Hawks return to action on Tuesday, October 20th as they travel to Rindge, N.H. to take on the Franklin Pierce University Ravens in their final road game of the season beginning at 4:00 pm.