MANCHESTER, N.H. – The Saint Anselm College women's volleyball team has qualified for the Northeast-10 Conference Championship for the third straight season and will battle the University of New Haven in the Quarterfinals on Tuesday, Nov. 6.
The eighth-seeded Hawks will take on the top-seeded Chargers at 7 p.m. on Tuesday in New Haven, Conn. Saint Anselm wrapped up the regular season with a 16-11 overall record and 7-7 against NE10 opponents while New Haven concluded the season with a 25-4 overall record and 13-1 in conference play.
LAST TIME OUT: Both teams just played each other on Saturday, Nov. 3 in New Haven where the Hawks fell in a hard fought five-set match, eventually falling to the Chargers. The teams traded back each set before the home team took the final set in a tight battle. Junior Catie McCarthy (Broad Run, Va.) finished with 17 kills and 16 digs. Senior Sarah Lowery (Chicago, Ill.) and junior Madison Sollows (West Barnstable, Mass.) each had 12 kills while Lowery added 10 digs. Senior Jewel Hays (Aliso Viejo, Calif.) had 51 assists to go along with seven digs.
SCOUTING SAINT ANSELM:
- Saint Anselm posted its third-consecutive winning season and have reached the 16-win mark in each of those seasons, including 20 victories in 2016.
- Hays now holds the all-time record for career assists in program history with 3,623. Her 10.36 assists per set this season is also on top of the program all-time list and third in the conference this season. Hays also led the team with 36 service aces.
- The Hawks were fourth among the league in kills per set with 12.96 and their .243 hitting percentage was second-beset in the NE10.
- McCarthy led the team with 317 kills on the year and 3.20 kills per set. Both were career-bests for the junior. Sophomore Elise Jolly (Merrimack, N.H.) and Lowery had 249 and 242 kills for second and third on the team, respectively.
- Sollows led the league with a .374 hitting percentage.
- Defensively Jolly had a team-best 81 total blocks and 15 solo blocks. Sollows was second on the team with 61 total blocks.
- Freshman Nique D'Ancona (Larkspur, Calif.) led the team with 282 digs and 3.40 digs per set on the year.
- The Hawks were ranked 10th in the NCAA Division II East Region rankings through Oct. 28. Four other NE10 schools were among those rankings.
SCOUTING NEW HAVEN:
- The Chargers enter the postseason with a 25-4 record and winners of their last eight matches. Five of those eight matches were sweeps, while seven of them went to four sets. The last loss for New Haven was their only conference loss of the season, a 3-0 defeat against Adelphi on the road.
- New Haven was ranked first in the NCAA Division II East Region rankings through Oct. 28.
- They have reached the Division II NCAA Championships 32 times in program history.
- New Haven were fifth in the NE10 with 12.93 kills per set but was the top team with a .248 hitting percentage. The 194 service aces were tied for third in the league as well.
- The Chargers averaged 1.96 blocks per set, good for second in the NE10.
- Mallory Nowicki led her squad with 322 kills and 3.10 kills per set.
- Kristine Rios had a team-high 842 assists for an 8.10 assists per set average. She also led the team with 52 aces. Brianna Mirmina averaged 3.59 digs per set and totaled 370 digs in 103 sets.
- Camille Garden had a team-high 113 total blocks and 33 solo blocks with a set average of 1.09. Jalynn Finnie was second on the team with 82 blocks and 16 solo blocks during the season.
NE10 POSTSEASON ALL-TIME: Saint Anselm has made the postseason 10 times in program history, including reaching the NE10 Tournament the last three seasons. Last season, the Hawks picked up their first-ever NE10 Tournament victory with a road win against Bentley University in five sets. The Hawks also qualified for the NCAA Division II East Region Championship quarterfinals for their first-ever showing, resulting in a five-set loss to Molloy College.
HEAD COACH:Head Coach Braden Zamore is in his fourth year at the head of the program boasting a 61-47 overall record and 30-26 NE10 record. He has led the program to three straight postseason appearances, including the Hawks first-ever NE10 Conference Tournament win and appearance in the NCAA Tournament in 2017.
ALL-TIME vs. NEW HAVEN: The Chargers have an all-time record of 12-2 against Saint Anselm, most recently defeating the Hawks on Nov. 3. The last time Saint Anselm won was on Oct. 21, 2016 a 3-2 victory. Three of the last four matches have gone to five sets.