MANCHESTER, N.H. – After taking down the top-seeded Chargers of the University of New Haven on Tuesday, Nov. 6, the Saint Anselm College women's volleyball team will now face the Owls from Southern Connecticut State University in the Northeast-10 Conference Semifinals on Friday, Nov. 9 on the campus of Adelphi University in Garden City, N.Y. It is the second-straight season that the Hawks have advanced to the semifinal round of the tournament.
The eighth-seeded Hawks will take on the fourth-seeded Owls at 7:30 p.m. on Friday at Adelphi University in Garden City, N.Y. Both teams won their respective quarterfinal matchups to advance in the conference tournament. The Hawks are now 17-11 while the Owls hold a 19-13 record.
LAST TIME OUT: Three days after taking on the Chargers on their home court, both teams were matched up in the NE10 Tournament quarterfinals as the eight and one seeds. The Hawks swept New Haven in straight sets via set scores of 25-21, 26-24, and 25-15, which was the first time in program history that had happened. New Haven was also the top team in the latest NCAA Division II East Region rankings.
Sophomore Elise Jolly (Merrimack, N.H.) led the Hawks with 12 kills while junior Catie McCarthy (Broad Run, Va.) had 12 digs and 11 kills. Classmate Madison Sollows (West Barnstable, Mass.) and senior Sarah Lowery (Chicago, Ill.) each notched seven kills. Lowery also had 10 digs on the evening and three blocks. Senior Jewel Hays (Aliso Viejo, Calif.) had 36 assists and 10 digs. Sophomore Holly Manchester (Lodi, Wis.) finished the evening with six kills on nine sings for a.556 attack percentage and also had three blocks.
SCOUTING SAINT ANSELM:
- After Tuesday night's win, Saint Anselm has advanced to the semifinals for the second-straight season after not winning a conference tournament matchup prior to last year.
- Hays holds the all-time record for career assists in program history with 3,659. Her 10.41 assists per set is third in the conference this season. Hays also led the team with 37 service aces.
- The Hawks were fourth among the league in kills per set with 12.99 and their .244 hitting percentage was second-best in the NE10.
- McCarthy led the team with 328 kills on the year and 3.22 kills per set. Both were career-bests for the junior. Jolly and Lowery had 261 and 249 kills for second and third on the team, respectively.
- Sollows currently led the league with a .376 hitting percentage.
- Defensively Jolly had a team-best 83 total blocks and 15 solo blocks. Sollows was second on the team with 63 total blocks.
- Freshman Nique D'Ancona (Larkspur, Calif.) led the team with 282 digs and 3.40 digs per set on the year.
- The Hawks is ranked 10th in the NCAA Division II East Region rankings through Nov. 4. Four other NE10 schools were among those rankings.
SCOUTING SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT STATE:
- Following a sweep of Southern New Hampshire in the NE10 Quarterfinals, the Owls improved to 19-13 overall.
- The Owls are 5-4 in the NE10 Tournament all-time and are 1-2 in the semifinal round. Last season, Southern Connecticut lost to New Haven in the conference finals in a five-set match.
- Three players have eclipsed the 300-kill mark this season with Alyssa Gage leading the team with 368. Joining her are Leanna Jadus and Gabriela Vazquez have 364 and 304 kills, respectively. Jadus averages 3.38 kills per set.
- Kailyn O'Neal leads the team with 894 assists for an 8.43 assists per set average. The latter statistic is seventh in the NE10. She also leads the team with 109 blocks and is fourth in the league with 0.98 blocks per set.
- Defensively, Jadus leads the team with 348 digs and 3.22 digs per set. Anna Venard is second on the squad with 315 digs while averaging 2.84 digs per set.
- Jadus also leads the Owls with 40 service aces while Jennifer Dawson and Vazquez have 31 and 30, respectively.
- As a team, the Owls sit third in the league with a .210 hitting percentage, trailing only Saint Anselm and New Haven. Southern Connecticut is also third in total kills but their average of 12.61 kills per set sits sixth in the conference.
NE10 POSTSEASON ALL-TIME: Saint Anselm has made the postseason 10 times in program history, including reaching the NE10 Tournament the last three seasons. Last season, the Hawks picked up their first-ever NE10 Tournament victory with a road win against Bentley in five sets. The Hawks also qualified for the NCAA Division II East Region Championship quarterfinals for their first-ever showing, resulting in a five-set loss to Molloy College. Now the Hawks have won twice in the conference tournament with this year's victory over New Haven.
HEAD COACH: Head Coach Braden Zamore is in his fourth year at the head of the program boasting a 62-47 overall record and 30-26 NE10 record. He has led the program to three straight postseason appearances, and have now had a pair of conference tournament wins.
ALL-TIME vs. SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT STATE: In 22 matches to date, the Hawks and Owls are tied at 11 in the all-time series. Saint Anselm lost the first meeting on Oct. 1, 1994 but won six straight through the 2004 season. Half of those matches were sweeps while the other three were four-set victories. The Owls went on a run of their own, winning nine of the next 11 matches. However, the Hawks had three straight matches, before the Owls defeated the Hawks this year on Friday, Nov. 2.